I'll always remember the day Carla came into Tessuti Chatswood along with her mum Josie, to find fabric suitable to recreate this dress (below worn by Selena Gomez) for her formal dress late last year! Such a sweet young lady, it was a real pleasure to help advise and to make her dream dress a reality.
Our Italian 100% Silk Chiffon 'Butterfly Wing' Panelled Digital Print (sold out) was perfect for this dress, together with an ivory silk organza for the under skirt. Talented dressmaker Bernadette Doherty did the rest, pretty stunning result don't you think?
When it comes to starting a new sewing project, I enjoy the cutting process ( I really do!) and of course sitting at my machine to start sewing. But the bit I find truly tedious is ironing the fiddly interfacing pieces to the (just as fiddly) fabric facings. In fact fusing waistbands, collars, cuffs is laboring!!! I'm sure you know what I mean?
A well known method used in the garment industry regarding interfacing is block fusing. When ironing interfacing to fabrics, the fabrics can shrink as a result, in particular woolens, cottons, viscose etc. So interfacing the fabric set aside for the facings, waistbands etc before cutting out is not only essential but makes this process quick and easy!
See why, in this example I'm going to show you a pair of pants I cut out recently in Vintage Wash Navy Linen and how I block fused the waistband facings.
When laying out my pattern to the fabric, I marked out my facings as per usual but instead of cutting them out of the fabric I cut around the facing shapes allowing approx 2cm around ( incase there is any shrinkage after fusing) so that my facings still fit after the fusing process. *I've marked mine out in fabric tailors chalk as my pattern is in cardboard,but you can pin your tissue pattern to the fabric, cut around the outer of these shapes and then remove.
Apologies, I wasn't as approx around my pieces!
I then placed the folded fabric piece over my folded interfacing, pinned in place and then cut around the fabric shape.
I then ironed on the interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric.
Once the fabric had been fused, I refolded my piece and lay out the facing pieces back on the fold, pinned in place and then cut out. *In my example you can see here that when I re-chalked around the facing pieces the linen had shrunk a little.
Et voila....now you have your interfaced facings! The same size as your original pattern piece. How easy is that?
Blockfusing is the answer!
Next week I'll post about the importance of vilene shields!
We attended a lovely wedding in beautiful Sutton Forest on the weekend. So we took the opportunity to stop by and say hello to Roslyn and Roger in Bowral. Their lovely store Fabric Finesse has been operating for 11 years now and they stock a lot of our fabrics. So if you're in the area pay them a visit!
This popular girl's pattern book GIRLS STYLE BOOK is now available in English. The book includes 24 designs for pretty blouses, tunics, dresses, bolero etc with full-scaled pattern sheets for sizes 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10.
RRP is $29.95.
Leave a comment below by end of day (AEST) Thursday 19th January and one lucky reader will get a free copy! For Anonymous comments you must leave your name and email address please.
Here's a look at the stunning dress Georgia made up for our Christmas party last month. The dress is a wonderful creation from a combination of two Vogue patterns made up in our drapey 100% Viscose Crepe Amber Samba (sold out). Vogue 8032 (view A) formed the bodice of the dress and Vogue 8232 for the skirt.
From V8032 - Georgia cut out the front and back of view A to the waist marker. Trimming off the seam allowance around the armholes and binding them in the self fabric. Because the body of the bodice was very long resulting in low armholes, Georgia came up with an idea to pull up the bodice by turning down the top of the neck front and back, then gathering the neckline and attaching the neck tie to the top, forming a pretty ruffle detail to the neck!
To remove excess at the waist, Georgia gathered the centre front and back leaving 10cm either side of the gathering, then attaching the skirt which is cut from V8232. For easy access a 35cm invisible zipper was sewn under the armhole. The dress was left to hang overnight to allow the skirt to drop, before levelling the hemline before sewing a narrow double 1/4 inch hem.
The new dates for Georgia's Sew Inn classes for Term 2 are now listed online here.
Meet Otga. She first came into our Melbourne store just a couple of months ago as a novice sewer. We talked fabrics, sewing with knits and making a tube skirt. Fast forward eight or so weeks and - my oh my - this lady has talent, style and a real eye for fabric and design. Once I worked my way past the distraction that were her divine Celine shoes...
...I managed to photograph her simple long-sleeved dress made up in Pucci's Candied Leadlight (100% Viscose jersey - available in all stores).
I suspect you may be seeing a lot more of Otga and her fabulous creations in the not too distant future.
Due to the deep V neckline at the back, wearing a bra is a problem so instead of raising the neckline Charlotte simply added a tab across the back, to cover the bra strap. The tab also helps to keep the shoulders in place, to keep them from slipping off the shoulders due to the combination of wide neckline and deep V back! Clever solution!